1. Summer's End Clearance Sale Everything 30-50% off at Moon Creek Gallery in Grayton Beach Plaza on 283! Your favorite SoWal Photo Prints, Matted Prints, Framed Prints, SoWal T-shirts & Hats.

Teen on bike hit by truck in Seagrove

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by hippiechick, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

Yes, if no one owned a business, that would be great. However, 30A is made up of many businesses which aren't even open before 8am.

Delivery trucks aren't the cause of accidents. It just happens that one was involved in this, but the cause was the vehicle being a delivery vehicle.

2. jd

jd Beach Lover

Really??? I didn't know that ALL the tourists on 30A are from Atlanta. And yes, people in Atlanta DO pay attention to thier children...it's not some primitive third world country, you know. I do see that you said "or wherever" and this boy, who is 15, and not a little child, is from the Atlanta area, but that's not a fair generalization! (Is that a word??) :blush:

3. hippiechick

hippiechick Beach Fanatic

I have a solution

Why not place red lights at the intersection of 395 and 30A, one in Seaside, and one in Seagrove. People crossing 30A on foot or by bike would be forced to cross when the signal says you can safely cross. Rosemary Beach is the only smart planned community to implement this safety issue. I don't like having to stop at lights anymore than you do, but if tourists won't take responsibilty for their own saftey, we locals will have to dp it for them.

4. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Several posters were saying that having lights in Rosemary is creating safety concerns there too.

Tourists cross the street wherever they want - often nowhere near a crosswalk or intersection - without looking and where they are not visible to drivers.

And don't get me started on the droves riding unlit and unreflected bikes in the dark - even harder to see!

5. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Another issues with limited delivery truck hours is that 30-A tends to have residential areas smack on top of commercial areas, and trucks can be noisy. I know I'm irritated if the trash guys start their run at 6:45am when I'm trying to sleep in on Saturday. (They are so supposed to wait until 7:00am to start making that kind of noise)

6. scooterbug44

Limited delivery times are just not practical - from a length of time to finish a route standpoint, a coordination standpoint, a variety of business hours standpoint, a special event standpoint, a construction standpoint, you name it.

Plus, commercial delivery vehicles are a small segment of the 30-A traffic - easily less than 1/20th I would guess.

7. Will B

Will B Moderator

If the times that deliveries could be made were restricted, you would significantly increase the number of trucks on the road during that time by a huge factor.

You can't solve one problem by creating another...

8. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

A large part of the problem is that peeps won't use the crosswalks, they cross wherever and they don't follow biking laws. The lights in Rosemary are a joke. There are two barely 30 ft apart and not synced and the pedestrians walk out in front of you no matter what the color is.

9. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

It wouldn't hurt for the business renting the bikes to give a two minute speil on safe biking and the "Florida" biking rules. It won't reach everyone but it would reach more than just not saying anything.

10. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Bdarg called earlier this morning to tell me that a Watercolor service golf cart was hit by a car on 30A- everyone seemed to be OK.

11. scooterbug44

I'd settle for the rental companies providing helmets for anyone under 16 per Florida Law...................and following the traffic/speed limit laws as they deliver the bikes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  12. Sandy Pants

Sandy Pants Beach Comber

Maybe a pedestrian bridge over 30a in a few strategic spots- with a beautiful gulf view.

13. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

So true...If I was a business owner of a rental service I would have them also sign something saying they read and understood it. This problem has gone on for the past 15-20 years...not as bad as the past few years, but locals have talked and talked about this. Every year it's a major discussion. At one time someone threw out the idea of a road being constructed around Seaside for locals. Some (as you can imagine) did not like this idea. No matter how many signs are up telling people the rules, or how few vendors or cars are on 30A.....adults and kids totally believe they can cross 30A without looking, without thinking and with absolutely no regard for vehicles that are driving up and down 30A.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard, "It's going to take someone getting run over before anything is done." Well, now that it's happened, what can we do about it?

I hope in the future there will be less talk and more action. For anything to work it has to be a commitment from not just one, but all communities along the stretch of 30A Paradise.

So glad to hear this young man is alive and on his way to recovery.

14. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

We can (and undoubtedly will :D) debate this issue ad infinitum, but the bottom line is this: until the "vacation mindset" changes, no amount of signage, pamphlets, lectures or even - God forbid - accidents will make a dang bit of difference. With the exception of that child's family, that accident, I'd bet, is considered a fluke by guests whose radar screens it even registers on - on par with being attacked by a shark while swimming in the gulf. "Not gonna happen to me or my kid."

About the only thing I think we have a shot with is fining parents for kids under 16 not wearing helmets. Even that's a stretch, depending upon how the fines are legally able to be collected. I'm fairly certain the bike rental agencies do have something in their rental agreements about the helmet law, but they have no way to enforce it (I'm not even sure that they all require helmets actually go out with the bikes.)

30A is a HIGHWAY! It happens to run along a stretch of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, but it's still a HIGHWAY. Where else would any semi-rational being step out onto a HIGHWAY without a second thought? It's the mindset.

15. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

The problem with this is that the rental companies then become liable if one of their customers did not receive the biking rules instructions and has an accident.

16. scooterbug44

I don't want to create a whole bunch of extra work and liability for the bike rental companies - just make folks safer.

Until goodwitch told us, I didn't even know Florida had a bike helmet law, so I can't fault tourists for not knowing.

DO wonder exactly how they have been renting out kids bikes w/o the safety equipment required by law and it hasn't been an issue. Like a rental car w/o seatbelts.

17. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

if the law is followed strictly, they are liable now if they rent to someone who does not produce a helmet, or rent a helmet as part of the bike rental.(See my post above: 16)(a) A person may not knowingly rent or lease any bicycle to be ridden by a child who is under the age of 16 years unless: 1. The child possesses a bicycle helmet; or 2. The lessor provides a bicycle helmet for the child to wear. ) But, not all the bikes being ridden are rented ones; many tourists bring their bikes with them.

parents definitely need to pay more attention to their kids--and be sure they know the rules: no reason not to wear a helmet; no reason not to know the traffic rules; no reason not to look both ways before crossing a street; no reason not to use the crosswalk...but in my experience in the last few days, the adults are just as guilty of not paying attention as the children are.:bang:

No matter what, accidents will happen, even with the best of instruction and watchfulness, but surely it would cut down on accidents and injuries if parents did more to educate and discipline.

18. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    We saw it too. A new model silver M-class, not that the value of the car matters. Just glad everyone was okay.

19. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Another way to educate tourists (though it's not only tourists who don't follow safety rules), is to put friendly, informative notices in rental units. I have information about the beach flag system and turtle/beach care in frames in our rental cottages for guests to read (the bathroom is a great place to ensure that people read this stuff - also, putting it in bathrooms kids use is helpful, too, because they can remind their parents).

So, if we were to design a simple and effective bike/road safety notice for rentals, what would it say? Maybe there's a brochure already out there somewhere that we could frame? I think guests appreciate this kind of reminder. Even if everyone doesn't follow the guidelines, at least a few more will. It would be nice if someone could pull together an "artsy" "beachy" sign so that it looks friendly rather than stern.

For example:

We want you to have a happy, relaxing and safe vacation. So, here's a friendly reminder of general safety rules:

1. Be careful when crossing the street and remind your children to look both ways as well, whether walking or on a bike.

2. Wear helmets when biking. Helmets are required for children 16 and under.

3. When at a crosswalk with lights, follow the rules (e.g., don't walk across the street when the light is red).

4. Drive cautiously because you may not be familiar with the roads. You need to be alert because pedestrians, bicyclists, and people driving golf carts may not always follow the safety rules.

5. Follow the beach safety rules.

6. Watch your children at the pool at all times, and don't let them wander off out of sight while on vacation (especially if there's a pool nearby). Keep the pool gate closed at all times.

7. Be aware of fire safety, especially when using the grill.

We wish you a happy and safe vacation.

20. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

This "Vacation Mindset" I recognize, as I see it everyday, but I do not understand why adults leave common sense,total regard for their child's safety and respect for the safety of others at home.

I'd like to hear if others on SoWal throw caution to the wind when they go on vacation. I know when I go I try to be more cautious then at home. New places, new streets, lots of people automatically add up to an accident waiting to happen. That doesn't stop the fun.......all it takes is a little common sense and for parents/adults to be role models while teaching their kids and other children who may be vacationing with them.

Maybe a bumper sticker would help...... instead of using it on cars, just slap it on everyone's back as you pass them, You know like the sticky that says "Kick Me."

Sorry :blush: I just hate to see children of any age at the edge of danger.