• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
...wouldn't it be a good idea to have delivery trucks along 30-A only be able to deliver at certain hours? Like 6 - 8 a.m.? Maybe only during the peak tourist seasons?:dunno:

Yes, if no one owned a business, that would be great. However, 30A is made up of many businesses which aren't even open before 8am.

Delivery trucks aren't the cause of accidents. It just happens that one was involved in this, but the cause was the vehicle being a delivery vehicle.

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
I was also about 30 or so cars back right after it happened.... we turned around and went thru watercolor and that's when we saw Lifeflight. It scares me to death to think about my 13 year old riding down 30a. I just can't let him do it if it involves crossing the road. But I do have to say that watercolor is so bad with kids on bikes... after we saw the accident on 30a, we were in watercolor when two 6 year olds just flew right out in front of us. Thank God we were going extremely slow... and meanwhile the parents are standing around and say nothing b/c they did not even notice.... I do not get it. Do they ride bikes in the middle of the road in Atlanta? Do the parents pay no attention to their children in Atlanta or wherever? I have prayed for whoever it was hit today b/c I didn't know who it was but knew it was bad when I saw Lifeflight and I'll continue to do so. Meanwhile, please please please ..... we know it is vacation but "being careful" applies everywhere.... it just is not worth it.

Really??? I didn't know that ALL the tourists on 30A are from Atlanta. And yes, people in Atlanta DO pay attention to thier children...it's not some primitive third world country, you know. I do see that you said "or wherever" and this boy, who is 15, and not a little child, is from the Atlanta area, but that's not a fair generalization! (Is that a word??) :blush:

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
I have a solution

Why not place red lights at the intersection of 395 and 30A, one in Seaside, and one in Seagrove. People crossing 30A on foot or by bike would be forced to cross when the signal says you can safely cross. Rosemary Beach is the only smart planned community to implement this safety issue. I don't like having to stop at lights anymore than you do, but if tourists won't take responsibilty for their own saftey, we locals will have to dp it for them.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Several posters were saying that having lights in Rosemary is creating safety concerns there too.

Tourists cross the street wherever they want - often nowhere near a crosswalk or intersection - without looking and where they are not visible to drivers.

And don't get me started on the droves riding unlit and unreflected bikes in the dark - even harder to see!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Another issues with limited delivery truck hours is that 30-A tends to have residential areas smack on top of commercial areas, and trucks can be noisy. I know I'm irritated if the trash guys start their run at 6:45am when I'm trying to sleep in on Saturday. (They are so supposed to wait until 7:00am to start making that kind of noise)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Limited delivery times are just not practical - from a length of time to finish a route standpoint, a coordination standpoint, a variety of business hours standpoint, a special event standpoint, a construction standpoint, you name it.

Plus, commercial delivery vehicles are a small segment of the 30-A traffic - easily less than 1/20th I would guess.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have been heartbroken all day thinking that this boy had passed away. So happy to hear that he is recovering well!!!!! No matter who was at fault - wouldn't it be a good idea to have delivery trucks along 30-A only be able to deliver at certain hours? Like 6 - 8 a.m.? Maybe only during the peak tourist seasons?:dunno:

If the times that deliveries could be made were restricted, you would significantly increase the number of trucks on the road during that time by a huge factor.

You can't solve one problem by creating another...

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
A large part of the problem is that peeps won't use the crosswalks, they cross wherever and they don't follow biking laws. The lights in Rosemary are a joke. There are two barely 30 ft apart and not synced and the pedestrians walk out in front of you no matter what the color is.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
It wouldn't hurt for the business renting the bikes to give a two minute speil on safe biking and the "Florida" biking rules. It won't reach everyone but it would reach more than just not saying anything.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Bdarg called earlier this morning to tell me that a Watercolor service golf cart was hit by a car on 30A- everyone seemed to be OK.