Walton Deputies To Unionize.

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Wells, Oct 21, 2008.

1. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Since we are still talking about it and the new sheriff was sworn in days ago (did that happen at midnight or noon BTW?) I would assume we have a barn door closing, horse long gone situation. :dunno:

2. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

He was sworn in at 12:01 AM on 1-1-09 and then sworn in again this morning. The first few days were part of a gubernatorial appointment.

There have been alluded improprieties on either on hear or some other board I have read. Someone said ballots were out so they still might unionize. I have my doubts from what I am hearing.

3. scooterbug44

The reason I asked for a time clarification was that someone asked me the very valid question "Isn't midnight New Year's Eve a bad time to be having law enforcement all in one location being sworn in rather than patrolling?". :dunno:

4. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Yes, that is why they swore a lot of the off duty and north end, then went around the county introducing the command staff and swearing in the rest of the deputies. I understand they even went to Baytowne around 1 AM or so. Making a full circle and finishing up at the Sheriff's office around 10 or so the next day. I was told that they made five different stops to make sure everyone was done as expeditiously as possible.

5. Creeklover

Creeklover Beach Lover

There is people that are certified to do arbitrations and you use one of them. I know Amy Perry is one from the Law office in destin.

6. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

You win again. Your knowledge on these issues is astounding. :floor:

7. Creeklover

Creeklover Beach Lover

I was speaking with some SO who was demoted today and they sure wish they would have supported the PBA and not thinking the Mike would not demote anyone in rank in the SO. If they were in the PBA in a protected position their job position whould have been saved.

8. scooterbug44

What was the general reason for the demotion?

I know there were some staff changes with the new Sheriff, but since the only specific example I know of was recently charged with speeding and DUI my sympathy level is currently rather low. :roll:

9. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

How could rank have been protected? If the ability to demote was not a possibility then the deputy would not have had a job. Deputies have to be re-appointed every four years when the Sheriff is re-appointed, and I can not think of how you could force someone to appoint someone else if they chose not too. Not to say that you may not have to keep paying them, but if you refuse to appoint them then what?

And would administrative rank positions be protected? So you are saying that the citizens of Walton County can go and overwhelmingly tell someone that they now want them to be Sheriff to make the changes that need to be made, but one last thing, you have to keep all the people in place that have not been doing what we want done during the last administration.

:funn:

10. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

And he was just not re-appointed.

11. Creeklover

Creeklover Beach Lover

It is my understanding that if a PBA union is in place that when a new Admin comes in that top positions are able to change but just demoting a Lt. or Sgt. to make room for a Caption to have a top position is not right to that employee. I think this would give the deputies more security.

As far as voters approving a change, i belive (Just my belief) they are voting for a top rank change. I belive that most employees when they receive a new supervisor changes and does what they are ask or traimed to do. I do belive that a underperforming employee in a past admin should be given a chance with a quality supervisor with progressive corrective action taken and then if he/she can not do the job let go. I have seen in my time that new supervisors come in and get rid of everyone when they had some very good employees who may have just needed direction to do their job better.

12. scooterbug44

I personally voted for someone to come in, clean house and make staff changes if necessary, and stop me reading stories in the SUN about how many tens (or hundreds) of thousands of tax dollars were being wasted due to incompetance or the buddy system.

There are some great people in the WCSO and I want the cream to rise and be rewarded, not have the scum stay w/ union protection from disciplinary action.

13. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Scooterbug
    With politics involved you will always have that possibility, as for Union Protection from disciplinary action, I can only assume to believe that you are another who does not believe in progressive discipline with the ultimate goal of assisting an employee to become better after a negative incident. Politicians will come and go, to get a professional department requries training and leadership from those that will be there year end year out, not the politicos

14. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    I thought they passed some sort of law a couple of years ago that said a new sheriff could not come in a fire anyone except the top people? If that is the case, the WTF?
    ( In a related note, I agree with the "non-appointment" of the DUI guy. Just curious about the process.)

15. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Yeah, Robert now I remember why I think they should Unionize. My suggestin Robert, stay self employed because you might be one of those let go.
    Idlewind, there was an attempt to do that, but I think RJ was poorly prepared and did not get it done, Johnny Mac told me he had it passed for his department, protecting those from I think he said Leiutnant down to road deputy.

16. Creeklover

Creeklover Beach Lover

Walton had it passes called the Walton County Sherriffs office career service act. It faild the first time but passed the second time. All of the deputies told be this was BS screen that was to try to make RJ look good.

17. Creeklover

Creeklover Beach Lover

18. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Creeklover, is this similar to what was done in Jackson County, also it seems there was very little protection from the politicos when they come into office.

19. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama

FF2, this is a quote from the bill the Creeklover provided:

"
    (3) TRANSITION OF CAREER SERVICE EMPLOYEES.--When a newly
    elected or appointed Sheriff assumes office, the new Sheriff shall continue the employment of all currently employed
    permanent personnel with the exceptions of those positions
    defined in subsection (1), unless there is just cause for
    dismissal as outlined in the Walton County Sheriff's Office
    Policy and Procedures Manual."

Based on this exerpt, a new Sheriff cannot fire an employee when taking office unless "just cause" exists. So, I assume if someone was let go, there is a good reason. Personally, I would think drinking, driving, stealing and dealing drugs qualify.

20. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Although I have issue with those items mentioned, its tough when you are convicted prior to a jury of your peers have they opportunity to hear the evidence or at the very least a judge. Corraine was only convicted of speeding, follow a deputy around one day while their in their patrol car, speeding is a fact of life. Get up on I-10 a watch the officers of the state, pass you while your doing 5 to 10 miles over.