• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

for it

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2008
yes for the union

:welcome:I would like pay for a clothing allowance, k-9, swat and senority account for a higher rate of pay then a starting deputy, also for promotions. Im sure pba will work with the new sheriff whoever it will be.Deputies make the job better for all not just a select few.:rotfl: Dont roll over to the fear a few would tell you. PBA has been around a long time and more Sheriffs offices are coming on board.

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Whoa!

FF2, let the new Sheriff take over. He may find that we can do without having a deputy on every corner. He could cut positions and use some of those savings to give the remaining employees a great raise, still returning some funds back to the taxpayer. This would not be possible with a union.

A deputy on every corner? Buddy, If someone calls in sick, its like a disaster we're already so short handed ( and they won't call someone in on overtime). I can't even make an arrest, because if I do, my zone will be uncovered for two hours. If I told you just how short handed we are in patrol, the criminal watcing this site (and there are a few meth dealers here in the south end watching) would be very pleased. If you see one on every corner, you're seeing the same one being aggressive in his/her patrol. You sir, are an ill informed person who thinks poorly of police officers, as your previous posts suggest. Most of the time, your back up in most zones of this county are twenty minutes out. Try holding someone at gunpoint for twenty minutes idle. You write like your very intellegent. Just remember the day when you need one of us that the reason you have to wait so long is you supported cuts at the sheriff's office.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
FF2, let the new Sheriff take over. He may find that we can do without having a deputy on every corner. He could cut positions and use some of those savings to give the remaining employees a great raise, still returning some funds back to the taxpayer. This would not be possible with a union.

Your talking about a government cutting something, your talking public safety here. You have 3 deputies, so I have been told, working the night shift in SoWal, because they have to use their comp time before the end of the year. You have approx. 130 deduties out of 200 some odd employees, who do you want to cut. Do you want them to cut dispatchers who answer your phone calls, or maybe we could us an answering service. Think about what you are saying, who you gonna call? Support Your Deputies. Ultimately they will make the decision as to whether they will organize or not, you know my position and I am not ashamed of it.
Bob:D

Your talking about a government cutting something, your talking public safety here. You have 3 deputies, so I have been told, working the night shift in SoWal, because they have to use their comp time before the end of the year. You have approx. 130 deduties out of 200 some odd employees, who do you want to cut. Do you want them to cut dispatchers who answer your phone calls, or maybe we could us an answering service. Think about what you are saying, who you gonna call? Support Your Deputies. Ultimately they will make the decision as to whether they will organize or not, you know my position and I am not ashamed of it.
Bob:D

The figure I heard was 150 deputies, but for the sake of argument lets say 120. 120 divided by 4 shifts is 30 deputies. Allowing for 25% on some sort of leave, that would be 22 deputies. I would think that 22 people could more than cover Walton County. Let's let the new Sheriff look things over before we do anything.

A deputy on every corner? Buddy, If someone calls in sick, its like a disaster we're already so short handed ( and they won't call someone in on overtime). I can't even make an arrest, because if I do, my zone will be uncovered for two hours. If I told you just how short handed we are in patrol, the criminal watcing this site (and there are a few meth dealers here in the south end watching) would be very pleased. If you see one on every corner, you're seeing the same one being aggressive in his/her patrol. You sir, are an ill informed person who thinks poorly of police officers, as your previous posts suggest. Most of the time, your back up in most zones of this county are twenty minutes out. Try holding someone at gunpoint for twenty minutes idle. You write like your very intellegent. Just remember the day when you need one of us that the reason you have to wait so long is you supported cuts at the sheriff's office.

I consider myself better informed than most, mainly because I can read newspapers and books and hear radio and TV.:blink: I hold officers in the highest respect, but that does not mean I check my intelligence at the door.:yikes: I do not remember reading about standoffs every day and I cannot see why it would take two hours to drive to DeFuniak and sign a warrant. Involved cases would be worked by CSI, so don't tell me about how long it takes to work a robbery. :dunno:

I think the new Sheriff should have some latitude to rearrange and fix problems. He ( either Adkinson or Griffith) should be afforded that level of respect and trust.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Tell me Idlewind, where do the standards for Law Enforcement staffing come from, seeing how you are so informed.:dunno: Surely there is a deputy to population ratio out there. Please inform me and tell me where I can find it seeing as I am seeking your knowledge.:roll: Tell me why those deputies might take 2 hours to ensure that their case is well documented as a start to prosecution, and please tell me how long a deputy must secure the scene before and after a robbery, because unlike you I don't know.:dunno: Share facts instead of just throwing an idlewind :blush:at us because it sounds as though you are concerned. Facts are what I need, not conjecture.:bang:

Bob

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I consider myself better informed than most, mainly because I can read newspapers and books and hear radio and TV.:blink: I hold officers in the highest respect, but that does not mean I check my intelligence at the door.:yikes: I do not remember reading about standoffs every day and I cannot see why it would take two hours to drive to DeFuniak and sign a warrant. Involved cases would be worked by CSI, so don't tell me about how long it takes to work a robbery. :dunno:

I think the new Sheriff should have some latitude to rearrange and fix problems. He ( either Adkinson or Griffith) should be afforded that level of respect and trust.

I hate to tell you this Idlewind....but your speaking of things about you have NO knowledge. And wathing CSI Miami does not make you and expert on the inner working of a law enforcement agency. You will not read about intense situatuations that take place daily, because your professional Officers and firfighters/paramedics are able to diffuse the situations daily without incident. Just because it does'nt make the news does'nt make it any less dangerous. No offense, but your "reading about standoffs" statement was ignorant.

I urge you, if you want to learn, schedule a series of ride alongs with the sheriff's office and we will show you these things of which you never read. Come ride on the midnight shift or work the village of Baytowne Wharf with the deputies. Ride with beach patrol on spring break or ride with the road deputies on evening shift.

Sorry man, but on this subject....you're speaking out of your a**. :roll:

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
By the way, we ARE the CSI units....this ain't T.V. and we ain't got a budget for a unit thats just CSI. We do the road deputies job AND CSI.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
By the way, we ARE the CSI units....this ain't T.V. and we ain't got a budget for a unit thats just CSI. We do the road deputies job AND CSI.

And if anybody thinks that all that fancy made-for-TV stuff they show on CSI Miami (or any of them) is real, they need to ride with a deputy and then an investigator. On TV, they can pull DNA from 30 people and know what belongs to who in a 45-minute show. Our guys do a DNA swab and FDLE might get back to you in six or eight weeks, if it's an important case. Not slamming FDLE; that's just the backlog.

I love CSI Miami but it is funny to watch it and watch ShallowsFuzz at the same time. :rotfl:

barton.roy

Beach Comber
Aug 29, 2008
DeFuniak Springs
What??? So you can't get your DNA results back before the next commercial break? You guys are doing a great job!

Here is my view on your PBA.

A dear friend of mine is new to this whole 'Small Town' politics uproar that happens every four years around here. It has almost caused my friend to move off. My friend has never seen so much back stabbing and back biting in his life.

What does that have to do with the PBA? Well, every four years there is a possibility for a new Sheriff to be elected. When that happens there is usually a partial or complete change of the entire administration at HQ. People are fired, demoted or whatever. While the agreement that Sheriff Johnson signed protecting the Sergents and Deputies offers some protection, it does not keep either of those from being fired because they work at the 'will' of the Sheriff. With the protection of a collective bargining agreement there are steps and procedures that must be followed before an employee is fired.

As a firefighter, I enjoy the rights covered under the Firefighter Bill of Rights. If I am accused, I must be told who the accuser is, their complaint and be given the choice of Reprenstation when I go before the investigation committee. I do not know if Deputies have a similar Bill of Rights but if they do it would keep them from being falsly accused and fired and they would have a friend there beside them when they are charged with anything letting them know what thier rights are. Could you imagine knowing who was accusing you rather than being called on the carpet and blindsided? That alone would get my vote!

I am by no means an expert on the situation but I know that the process works!

I know that the that the process to bring the PBA was not done right, but I do know that in the end it will be a blessing in disguse to the guys on the ground.

The contract is all up to you guys! You get to chose what parts you want and dont. You get to vote. You have the oppurinity to keep what you have right now. Pay, cars, hours... Most everything can be negoiated on! It's your chance to keep the things that you have and later to make them better!

FF2 I will stand with you standing with the guys!