• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
From Darrell Barnhill; Based on recent events, the main issue is poor tracking of expenditures. According to the Superintendent’s office, the Board over- spent their budget by approximately seven hundred fifty thousand dollars ($750,000.00). To close out the end of year, the Board had to take money out of the fund used for hurricanes, floods and natural disasters. We have got to ensure this never happens again

No mention of how he thinks this referendum will make that happen.

From Bill Eddins; The top two issues affecting schools in Walton County are 1. The Budget. We have dipped into the fund balance for far to long. It has finally caught up to us, which placed us in financial crisis at the end of June. 2. The referendum to appoint a superintendent could have an affect on the students of Walton County.

Again, not one word on how he thinks this referendum can and will make that happen.

From Kim Kirby; Fiscal accountability to the taxpayers, building and maintaining a healthy fund balance, and ensuring fiscal responsibility through monthly compliance monitoring of revenues and expenditures.

Not one mention of how she believes this referendum will make this possible or if she does or does not support it.

From Kay Leddon: A balanced budget with a sufficient fund balance and more accountability.

How do we get to that point and how will this referendum help that?

From Sharon Roberts; I not only bring finance experience but school district finance experience to the table.

Really? Then why is the WCSD in the mess it's in?? No mention of support for a referendum that the WECA wants people to get behind and support using message boards and web sites to push either!!

Tough questions, I know, but someone needs to ask them!

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I forgot Jason Catalano's statement;

The school district faces some real challenges with our budget. We have to ensure that every dollar spent is done so with one goal in mind, to improve the learning experience of our students. We also can’t afford to make costly mistakes that jeopardize the financial standing of the district. Ensuring that our budget is sound, and that parents, teachers, and the community are involved in the process is paramount.

I would be willing to bet my last dollar that as Cecilia's (past) administrative assistant he is NOT in support of this referendum!

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Solution to Walton School Problems:

Start to cull the top supervisor and administration positions. Streamline, save money on the dozen or so $80k plus salaries.

Hire qualified people and have a Forensic Audit.

Vote Yes for the referendum

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Why do you take everything so personally. I think voters have the right to know where the candidates stand on the issues.

It wasn't an attack on you! I highly doubt the "good ole boys" running for school board support this referendum and I believe they should come out and be honest about that. I sincerely doubt Danny Glidewell supports this referendum either. I could be wrong but I've asked him here to be open and honest about it.

So, why would the WCEA support candidates who don't support them?

You want to take it personally...that's your issue not mine.

Many times you can't find someone that agrees with all your issues and you support the candidate who come closes to representing your views.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008

Start to cull the top supervisor and administration positions. Streamline, save money on the dozen or so $80k plus salaries.

Are you saying that these "top supervisor and administration positions" are not needed?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

With the current and incumbent board and the candidates currently running how do you see that happening?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Many times you can't find someone that agrees with all your issues and you support the candidate who come closes to representing your views.

I agree Bob, that's why it's so important to know where the candidates and those currently sitting on the school board stand.

I've said before and will say again, YOU CAN NOT LEAVE THE SAME FOXES IN CHARGE OF THE HEN HOUSE AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Unfortunately Misty, you have people that think these folks are doing what is required. Think of it this way, Cindy Meadows did not win by much over Cecilia Jones. Many folks choose based on a few issues and I know folks who are single issue voters and to heck with the rest of the issues out there. So I don't get bent out of shape, we seem to recycle our politicians both here and nationally and until a viable candidate comes along who doesn't have an agenda you pick from what is out there. Look at the the folks who supported Larry Jones for County Administrator that seemed to oppose him as county commissioner, credit where credit is due he seems to have done a pretty good job so far.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
JohnG, we are in complete agreement on the forensic audit.

Given that, isn't it only fair to either a HIRED or ELECTED Superintendent to know what occurred to prevent it from ever happening again and to hold someone accountable?

One of the many problems Walton County taxpayers have faced over the years I've lived here is, that when public officials are caught with their proverbial pants down they are not held accountable, albeit citizens are. If you or I were responsible for the current mess the school system is in one or both of us would be in jail.

“It’s deeper than one year, what happened,” said Superintendent Carlene Anderson

If Ms. Anderson knows it was deeper than one year and withheld that information from the board she should be locked up. If she knew it, how many board members also knew? Shouldn't they be held accountable also?

That's why I keep saying; YOU CAN NOT LEAVE THE SAME FOXES IN CHARGE OF THE HEN HOUSE AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Unfortunately Misty, you have people that think these folks are doing what is required. Think of it this way, Cindy Meadows did not win by much over Cecilia Jones. Many folks choose based on a few issues and I know folks who are single issue voters and to heck with the rest of the issues out there. So I don't get bent out of shape, we seem to recycle our politicians both here and nationally and until a viable candidate comes along who doesn't have an agenda you pick from what is out there. Look at the the folks who supported Larry Jones for County Administrator that seemed to oppose him as county commissioner, credit where credit is due he seems to have done a pretty good job so far.

As long as you have folks "only doing" what is required you CAN NOT and have NO RIGHT to expect different results when you change the players on the field.

I think this referendum is the single most important issue this County has faced in decades and its very important to the education of the children in this county! I damn sure wanna know who to throw my vote behind and who is or isn't going to support a hired Super.