• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Does anyone else constantly get frustrated about all of the rules, signs, laws, etc. that never get followed or enforced? :bang:

Yep, and I think one reason is that there are too many signs, especially along 30A. People get sensory overload from so many signs coming at them from all directions, and simply short out and don't read any of them. I have tried in the past to get something going about sign regulations that would reduce the clutter, but have never been able to get any traction.

It does really irk me to see motorized vehicles on the bike path so often (sometimes parked there, other times using it like their own private road), and yet I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a ticket for that.

As a mother, I don't understand how a parent's safety brain can go so totally awol when vacationing, especially with young kids. I was always extra attentive when we were away from home and familiar surroundings, not more lax.

As a taxpayer, I don't get why the aforementioned groups and agencies aren't already out there years ago with PR road safety campaigns. I feel a rant trying to start and I don't have time so I'm going for that nice cool pomegranite green tea in the fridge now.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
So glad he is ok. This very well will end up quite the positive story for the family and those who might learn this lesson vicariously.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I am so glad you posted this, as I've long felt - as other residents of vacation destinations do, no doubt - that visitors leave their common sense at home. It's as if the universal laws of physics don't apply on vacation. Can you imagine what Disney has to deal with? Although to their credit, there's little driving by tourists anywhere on the resort. I will check out that book.

My heart aches for that child's family, and I pray he recovers fully. And I pray for the driver of that that truck, who is dealing with his own hell today.

I noticed many more bike rental companies crop up in the past year. This season will be challenging, to say the least. Constant vigilance!!

Sadly this is an all too common occurance. And yes Disney just had to deal with this, when a 9 year old child on a bike hit the side of one of their buses, fell and was run over and killed. Afterwards many people made the comment, they could not believe it happened at Disney. :dunno:

Vacation destination are not magical places where no one gets hurt, whether it be Disney or 30-A.

When my daughter did her internship at Seaside, she daily told me that working with kids at Seaside was like hell in paradise. She was in a constant state of terror of something happening to so many young kids left unattended by their parents and many on bikes.

Evidently one side of traffic had stopped and Harrison "assumed" the other side would stop

I so hope this was not one of those situations where one side of traffic stops and then the person in the first car proceeds to wave the biker or car on, right into danger. I don't care how many ugly stares I get or gestures, I am not going to pull into the lane of traffic just because someone has stopped to "wave" me across.

I am glad to hear the young man is going to recover, prayers to him and all concerned.

Last edited:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Thank God this young man will be okay. I know many sowallers were praying for his recovery even as we bemoan the circumstances that caused the accident.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Many good points.

We will probably find that this tragedy had more than one contributing factor. A teenager making a poor decision as most are apt to do while riding a bike without a helmet. Maybe a distracted driver.

However, for all the reasons cited I believe the speed limit through Seagrove is too high. It should be 25 MPH just like Watercolor, Seaside, Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach. This sad incident happened in a 35 MPH zone where many vehicles routinely travel at 40 MPH. Way too many driveways, turning vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.

This is approximately a 1.5 mile stretch of road. If my math is correct it would take 62 seconds longer at 25 MPH vs 35 MPH.

It is impossible to legislate and enforce most types of safe and courteous behavior. It is easier to enforce speed limits. A 62 second solution I am more than willing to accept if it decreases the chance of anything like this happening again.

An additional North South connector to US 98 from 30A east of Seagrove would be nice.

Also please don't text and drive, or use your cell phone and drive. Don't eat and drive. Don't apply make-up and drive. Don't do anything when you drive except drive. Distracted drives are as dangerous as impaired drivers.

Wear those bike helmets even if not required by law. And don't just put them on your children. I applaud parents that require their children to wear bicycle helmets but what message are they sending when those same parents don't wear helmets themselves.

Thank god this child is going to make it. This accident probably had zero to do with the speed limit, this just reminds us all to look out for the other driver/biker etc. especially in a UNBELIEVABLY crowded resort area. ON your point on speed however, I agree with you the speed limit through Seagrove is way too high, for this time of year. The problem is that on the other hand 35 MPH is probably too low for half the year here, so maybe some unique solutions are called for. Unfortunately for folks wanting to preserve high speed limits, the dictates of modern non common sense society is going the other way. People use the area as a resort. that's just how it functions, despite that technically SEAGROVE BEACH is not a Planned Unit Development Per Se.

Now some will tell you that 30A is not a resort at all.. they say it's a collection of separate resorts, defined by legal PUD boundaries... I don't agree at all. It's a resort now, sorry, get out and take a look around, ask people how they use it and how they think of it. It's a separate discussion, but is inherint in the prevention leadership discussion about what the area might need in terms of tweaks, lanes, trolleys, signs... all the stuff that is designed to save us from the failures of common sense.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Why isn't the speed limit simply changed? Panama City Beach used to religiously change Front Beach Road from 35MPH to 45MPH after the snowbirds left. While I realize this was the stupidest thing in the world since you were about to go from no traffic to stand still parking lots and an increase was pointless this could be implemented here very easily.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
At exactly the same spot as yesterday's accident, 3 teenage boys cut right in front of me from the bike path to Cassine- and never looked to see if cars were coming. Thankfully, I was expecting it- but it was still too much of a close call for my comfort zone, and Kate probably has whiplash from the quick stop.:bang:

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
I so hope this was not one of those situations where one side of traffic stops and then the person in the first car proceeds to wave the biker or car on, right into danger. I don't care how many ugly stares I get or gestures, I am not going to pull into the lane of traffic just because someone has stopped to "wave" me across.

IMO, the only thing more stupid than directing pedestrian, bicycle or vehicle traffic with the wave of your hand, would be to actually follow that direction from someone and rely & act upon it.

There are well published rules of the road that apply to pedestrians, bikes and vehicles. Everyone needs to know them and follow them .... it's not just the law, it's a good idea.

All situations are covered, including use of crosswalks and 3- and 4-way stops. All of us, tourists & locals, need to use these rules so more injury accidents (& worse) don't occur. Check them out; they let you know what you're supposed to do.

You're not a traffic cop. Don't give me directions, and don't expect me to follow them from you .... let's all learn & use the established rules. And use way more common sense & awareness.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am trying to figure out if there was some change that is making it seem like there are more bikes, more kids on bikes, and more idiotic behavior. :dunno: Think it is just the start of season after the off season break, but for some reason it seems worse.

All I know is that if I rode a bike like this as a kid, I'd either get hit by a car, or smacked by a parent or neighbor.

P.S. Was I the only one taught to bring my bike to a complete stop and then either walk or pedal it across the road? Just that would solve at least 50% of the problem.

Last edited:
At exactly the same spot as yesterday's accident, 3 teenage boys cut right in front of me from the bike path to Cassine- and never looked to see if cars were coming. Thankfully, I was expecting it- but it was still too much of a close call for my comfort zone, and Kate probably has whiplash from the quick stop.:bang:
Same thing happened to me today. It just freaked me out.

BTW so glad that the little boy will recover. That's fabulous news.

I know y'all have heard this before, but the guy who ran over my five-year-old brother hung himself that night in the Atlanta City jail. He was DUI.

I've got to say that yesterday's accident really got to me. Brought back a lot of bad memories. I got so upset that I behaved very inappropriately. I pretty much flipped out.