• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The facts are that Mrs. Anderson has fired, non renewed, laid off or whatever one wishes to call getting rid of good teachers when no reduction in personnel was required. It is also a fact that Mrs. Anderson's campaign is financed largely by wealthy individuals who control or own entities that make it difficult for not so well funded people to fairly run for office. Ms. Hutchison has funded her own campaign. Not so well connected people who run for office are limited by their own resources and small contributors who are limited by the amount they can contribute. And the use of strict legal definitions doesn't disguise a lie.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Hmmm. There are a lot of things that don't work here. Wonder why?:scratch: Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the prevailing attitude of "well, that's always how it's been done around here".:roll:

Beautiful post and so very true. Just because it has always been done that way in the past, doesn't mean we must continue to do it that way in the future.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Beautiful post and so very true. Just because it has always been done that way in the past, doesn't mean we must continue to do it that way in the future.

Thank you Andy. I truly believe this the biggest problem faced by Walton County. For those of us who are newer, it is tough to try and make a difference here, because many times it seems that any change or improvements are not really welcome. Thankfully, there are a lot of new families settling here who realize that just keeping the way things are is not conducive to a healthy, progressive, economically vibrant, and healthy community and quality of life.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Mrs. Anderson's margin of victory in the primary certainly isn't a mandate when one considers that the big money support was with her and Ms. Hutchison had very little funding. I wonder if the registered Democrats and independents will turn out in November?

Jessie Floyd

Beach Comber
Jul 28, 2012
I just found “Ragle for Superintendent” facebook page. She has a nice comment about Trish Hutchinson. Ragle has my support.

Rosemary Ragle

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Rethink the mission. Rekindle the spirit.

Mrs. Anderson's margin of victory in the primary certainly isn't a mandate when one considers that the big money support was with her and Ms. Hutchison had very little funding. I wonder if the registered Democrats and independents will turn out in November?

As the Democratic candidate, J P, I certainly hope that all voters, regardless of party affiliation, will see the clear indication that a large number of our citizens want change for our school system. Experience is usually a valuable asset, but not if it tarnishes one's perception and clouds one's judgment.

We in our school system seem to have lost our common purpose with respect for the group. Perhaps a new style of leadership can restore the faith of stakeholders in our schools. Perhaps a new style of leadership will bring our "team" together.

All school employees play a vital role in the total operation of the school system, but I do not believe that teachers or support personnel feel valued and I do not believe that parents feel welcomed. Such an atmosphere is not conducive to progress.

Please visit my facebook page, Ragle for Superintendent, and share your thoughts with me @ rosemaryforsuperintendent@gmail.com. (It is really true! You can teach an old dog new tricks.):clap:

Rosemary

30ARosie

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2008
Rosemary Beach
As the Democratic candidate, J P, I certainly hope that all voters, regardless of party affiliation, will see the clear indication that a large number of our citizens want change for our school system. Experience is usually a valuable asset, but not if it tarnishes one's perception and clouds one's judgment.

We in our school system seem to have lost our common purpose with respect for the group. Perhaps a new style of leadership can restore the faith of stakeholders in our schools. Perhaps a new style of leadership will bring our "team" together.

All school employees play a vital role in the total operation of the school system, but I do not believe that teachers or support personnel feel valued and I do not believe that parents feel welcomed. Such an atmosphere is not conducive to progress.

Please visit my facebook page, Ragle for Superintendent, and share your thoughts with me @ rosemaryforsuperintendent@gmail.com. (It is really true! You can teach an old dog new tricks.):clap:

Rosemary

Ms. Ragle, you mention "a large number of citizens want change." The last time I heard a Democrat wanted to make a change, our country ended up as it is now. Change is good when the product of the current establishment is inferior. However, as I have seen through my research, Walton School District is a High Performing School District. Only 5 out of 67 districts in the state have accomplished this 6 times! Why does it need change? What do you want to change to? Change to a low performing school district? I've heard enough about people wanting to feel good and wanted to be respected. We in the business world are glad to have good schools. It helps attract people and industry and our county needs more industry. Keep Anderson in office. She obviously knows how to make a school district work. And, quit whining about respect and common purpose and just do your job!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Ms. Ragle, you mention "a large number of citizens want change." The last time I heard a Democrat wanted to make a change, our country ended up as it is now. Change is good when the product of the current establishment is inferior. However, as I have seen through my research, Walton School District is a High Performing School District. Only 5 out of 67 districts in the state have accomplished this 6 times! Why does it need change? What do you want to change to? Change to a low performing school district? I've heard enough about people wanting to feel good and wanted to be respected. We in the business world are glad to have good schools. It helps attract people and industry and our county needs more industry. Keep Anderson in office. She obviously knows how to make a school district work. And, quit whining about respect and common purpose and just do your job!

It appears to me you are a little overboard. I do not have children in school but mine were raised all over the world. From every indication I have seen, Florida's method of determining "quality education" is flawed. The FCAT is a disaster as it appears teachers have a tendency to teach what is on the test. I am certainly not against testing, but teaching what is specifically on a test is counterproductive. The methodology used to rank the effectiveness of schools also appears to be one of fluff instead of substance. Finally, it seems in many instances in this school district, the superintendent makes policy instead of enforcing what is made by the school board.

To knock Rosemary Ragle because she saw fit to come here and let us know she is running, smacks of cronyism in the highest degree. I have no idea who Ms Ragle is but she will surely get a generous look at both her qualifications and plans from me and I'm a Republican who has no problem blackening in the oval next to the name of a Democrat if it is warranted.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Obviously there are a lot of people who feel that positive results in the way schools are rated by the state and the promise of low taxes are all important, However, parents, teachers and other citizens have no voice in the way our schools are run. With Mrs. Anderson, "it's my way or the highway". I've never held a public sector job but I've run a business and in the 6 decades I've been around, I've had number of jobs. In my world, you seek out the most qualified people to do the job and our children have been short changed since the economic meltdown. While Walton Schools sought out the best teachers prior to 2008, teacher quality has fallen. The most experienced teachers who didn't enjoy the luxury of tenure have been discarded and replaced with entry level educators. The fact that the number of teachers in Walton county with graduate degrees are below the state average which is only about 30% bears this out. I'd love to see the teacher screening policy. There's no doubt in my mind that the most experienced teachers are excluded from consideration. There is also compelling evidence that the Walton School District has breached elements of the collectivie bargaining agreement and also is guilty of discrimination in hiring practices. I'm one registered Republican who will surely vote for some Democrats in November. For me, character and compassion are more important than people who are part of the bought and paid for Walton County political machine and who make decisions that are not in the best interest of all citizens.

Rosemary Ragle

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Civility is the key to an open, honest discussion.

Sorry, Rosie, I did not intend to whine. I joined this forum in an attempt to give voters a feeling for who I am and what I believe. :sosad:

Yes, a large number of Republicans expressed a need for change judging from the August primary results. Many of us Democrats agree with those Republicans. (Perhaps, as human beings, partisanship is not the barbed-wire fence that divides us. Perhaps it is a lack of respect for an individual's right to disagree with her neighbor.)

In the business world, employees who are content in their jobs are more productive than those who are disenchanted. Indeed, we need industry. We also need a workforce with the basic skills and the soft skills to be productive employees for that industry.

I respect your opinion and your right to express it. If my posts are upsetting for you, ignore them and vote for the incumbent.

Rosemary