• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob,

Bob,

I'm sure you get that in most cases I'm responding to someone's post.

I'm not going around telling everyone that public beach property is being stolen for $100.

So, ask your question to everyone please. Funny how I'm the one who is supposed to stand down.

Shannon
Amazing, you thought that was what I said....

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I am done. It is evident that some here are of the "new" breed of beachfront owner; the kind who were duped into believing their sand was private and who were also duped into paying way too much for their postage stamp sized grassy yard.
Meanwhile, I will go back to every Sunday afternoon on the beach, usually in front of a house of an owner who "gets it." She has told us don't cause issues, clean up after yourself, I'm not here, but when I am, I'll come down and have a beer with you.
That, my friends, is how it used to be before greed took over and how it should be again.
Been here longer than you I'd guess. No duped or greedy "old" or "new" beachfront owners here. Just informed ones. My private property has always been "private" for many decades; even if I let you use it, it's still private property with all the rights you have. But if you and the commissioners demand to use my property without my consent, you will not be licensed or invited to use it. If the Walton commissioners litigate and beachfront owners Constitutional private property rights are superior to an obscure old English public common law and owners prevail I for one will enforce my private property rights to the fullest extent of the law. So be careful what you pay your tax money for. There is no customary use in Walton county and the one thing I agree with Teresa and Dave Rauschkolb - NO compromise.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I am done. It is evident that some here are of the "new" breed of beachfront owner; the kind who were duped into believing their sand was private and who were also duped into paying way too much for their postage stamp sized grassy yard.
Meanwhile, I will go back to every Sunday afternoon on the beach, usually in front of a house of an owner who "gets it." She has told us don't cause issues, clean up after yourself, I'm not here, but when I am, I'll come down and have a beer with you.
That, my friends, is how it used to be before greed took over and how it should be again.
Come on down to Grayton any time. Stil lots of friendly folks here!

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Right?!?! If I was some of these people I would be going after the realtor that told me I had a "Private beach" and a "small, quaint, close-knit community" but forgot to tell them they are moving into a "resort area" with one of the highest bed-tax collecting TDCs in the state of Florida and that my "neighbors" would be there from Sat. to Sat. and hail from all over the country.

Bingo...the silence from ECAR and the agents has been deafening. With the exception of 30ALocal which from what I can see they are correcting their listing/marketing verbiage. Good to hear this.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Bingo...the silence from ECAR and the agents has been deafening. With the exception of 30ALocal which from what I can see they are correcting their listing/marketing verbiage. Good to hear this.

New listing today ...600 feet of private beach

Grab this one before it's gone!! Gorgeous views from this 10th floor condo in the popular Tides GULF FRONT building. Great 2-bedroom/2 bath with a huge balcony that provides incredible coastline views. This is a must see for anyone wanting to own a 2/2 in a gulf front building for well under 500K. Tops'l Resort is a private, gated, 52-acre gulf front resort that borders Sandestin Resort on one side & 4 miles of undeveloped preserve and state park to our east. Tops'l Resort has 600 feet of private beach and world class amenities that include multiple onsite dining options, 12 Rubico tennis courts, several pools (some heated), convention facilities, incredible fitness center/spa with weight room, massage, yoga, steam room, sauna crossfit and personal trainers on staff. Other features of this
unit include updated kitchen, baths and flooring and brand new AC.

Shannon

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
You apparently have no clue that I used to work for the Clerk of Court, very closely with the Property Appraiser, I have been here all of my life, and I own waterfront property. I'm fairly well-versed in beach ownership.
Again, your "premium" is based on unfettered access to the beach, and the unimpeded sight, sound and smell of the gulf. The original developers of our beachfront communities - who I remember, as most were friends with my parents - often fashioned their deeds to the MHWL because, back then, there was no CCL and the MHWL was used in order to protect those who bought beachfront from anything being built between the edge of the bluff and the Gulf. There was no intent to block the beach for recreational use. People who owned beachfront in years past understood the spirit of the beach, and never dreamed of impeding access and use of any portion of the beach.

Yes, your tax bill is based in part on what you paid for the property. But the sand itself is not an issue, as the sand does nothing that a home facing the Gulf doesn't already do - except make elitists believe the beach is theirs and theirs alone. Your assessment is based on linear width "front feet" of the bluff.
You apparently have no clue that I used to work for the Clerk of Court, very closely with the Property Appraiser, I have been here all of my life, and I own waterfront property. I'm fairly well-versed in beach ownership.
Again, your "premium" is based on unfettered access to the beach, and the unimpeded sight, sound and smell of the gulf. The original developers of our beachfront communities - who I remember, as most were friends with my parents - often fashioned their deeds to the MHWL because, back then, there was no CCL and the MHWL was used in order to protect those who bought beachfront from anything being built between the edge of the bluff and the Gulf. There was no intent to block the beach for recreational use. People who owned beachfront in years past understood the spirit of the beach, and never dreamed of impeding access and use of any portion of the beach.

Yes, your tax bill is based in part on what you paid for the property. But the sand itself is not an issue, as the sand does nothing that a home facing the Gulf doesn't already do - except make elitists believe the beach is theirs and theirs alone. Your assessment is based on linear width "front feet" of the bluff.

As my 95 year old Mama, a patron of these shores since the Cube days, says on the “private beach” issue, “RIDICULOUS! It’s like buying a house on a busy street and then complaining about the traffic!” A quit claim deed, as used in these instances, may provide “color of title” but IMO does not mean more than that. I admire the residents who continue to push for enforcement of existing ordinances and for the enactment of additional sensible planning laws. Seems like some of the bed tax should go towards that, rather than continued growth, unabated. The horse while out of the barn, is still in the pasture.