• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Instead of addressing the problem we could just come up with a rainbow of monetary terror levels.

HAH!! That made my afternoon SWGB. TX....

Maybe we can use this as a guide:

kibblesmith_terror_alert.jpg

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Originally Posted by TheSheep
Two words:

Buy REIT.
As always, depends on the REIT. Historicallically, REIT's asset value eithr do not depreciate or do not depreciate at any relative rate to real estate market itself. In a period of economic fukkupedness REITs tend to be more stable take an office building oriented REIT. Even the totallyfukkedupedness corporation will pay rent as priority.

REIT properties are often purchased as income stable properties and have longevity in track record. They are also typically diversified i.e. office properties spread geometrigraphically, ya' know, um, like, all over the place. :blink:

Each REIT is individualistically individual :dunno: but they almost always outperform the individual, collected investments in investor properties when the country has been Bushsodomized.

NEWS FLASH !!

Supporting and compelling evidences, Dear Pirate, of your claims and mine.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/10/06/ap5513222.html

Immoral of the Story

Buy Right REIT who ain't doin' nuthin' except sitting on REIT hoofs.

I have to admit I have no idea what the hell you mean but it is entertaining. :blush:

ClintClint

Beach Fanatic
Jul 2, 2008
My I.R.A now looks like a chitlin with the shiot slung out of it. It couldn't provide lunch money for an anorexic mummy.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
My I.R.A now looks like a chitlin with the shiot slung out of it. It couldn't provide lunch money for an anorexic mummy.

I'm down too, but I'm in long term, and swapped out to high yield securities, so when it comes back up, I've got my value back plus the dividend and interest return. I wouldn't worry about value if you're in for the long haul.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think you mean...Bare market.

Bobskunk

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Epic Bear

It's amazing that we never seem to learn. I remember when people were joyfully piling their life savings into Double Click, Infospace, Pets.com, and any other hairbrained dotcom that was hatched. After that crash, it seems that we would have understood where manias lead.

Not too many years later, I remember people who were quitting their jobs to become real estate investors, not paying attention to the fact that we had more $million condos and homes than millionaires who wanted them. I bought a lot, and sold it a year to the day later and it nearly trippled. Unfortunately, I used the proceeds to by a lot that is pretty close to worthless, but it was "the house's" money that I was playing with. So, I ended up back where I started, which I guess is better than many.

I have learned that when these inevitable busts occur, I have to economize even more, which is hard considering that I don't spend much, try to squeeze out more money to invest rather than giving up, and remind myself that money, although important cannot be the source of happiness. It sometimes goes away.

Seriously, good luck to all of you in weathering this. I don't find any joy in watching others suffer, with the exception of thieving politicians and executives who go to jail, however rarely it occurs.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
It's amazing that we never seem to learn. I remember when people were joyfully piling their life savings into Double Click, Infospace, Pets.com, and any other hairbrained dotcom that was hatched. After that crash, it seems that we would have understood where manias lead.

Not too many years later, I remember people who were quitting their jobs to become real estate investors, not paying attention to the fact that we had more $million condos and homes than millionaires who wanted them. I bought a lot, and sold it a year to the day later and it nearly trippled. Unfortunately, I used the proceeds to by a lot that is pretty close to worthless, but it was "the house's" money that I was playing with. So, I ended up back where I started, which I guess is better than many.

I have learned that when these inevitable busts occur, I have to economize even more, which is hard considering that I don't spend much, try to squeeze out more money to invest rather than giving up, and remind myself that money, although important cannot be the source of happiness. It sometimes goes away.

Seriously, good luck to all of you in weathering this. I don't find any joy in watching others suffer, with the exception of thieving politicians and executives who go to jail, however rarely it occurs.

Well said Mr. Bobskunk.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I'm enjoying life. My thing is, I like explanations as to 'why' things happened and projections on the depth of the current situation, but what I most want is a good solid explanation on what I can do to take advantage of this current situation- take positive action.

BTW, I have an article out in the Emerald Coast magazine in this October issue. It's about Fatherhood and is in the Humor Me section. You can see it online as well.

I miss you guys. I'm still working 7 days a week 7 to 7. And the money is GOOD :)