Multilevel marketing MLM discussion

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by seal, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Re: Anyone know Fortune High Tech Marketing?

Josh, have you been able to convince anyone else to sign up with you, yet?

2. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

I dont understand what the problem is with MLM's... I know they work. The one I am involved with sells legitimate website domains. You just happen to get money for people who buy then under you,. You are paying for a website. and selling a website.

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

It sounds like stepping on other people's heads to make money. MLM = shady and fishy. Like Amway, Excel, Herbalife.

I'm not the biggest Wikipedia fan, but they give a great summary here:

"In the most legitimate MLM companies, commissions are earned only on sales of the company's products or services. No money may be earned from recruiting alone ("sign-up fees"), though money earned from the sales of members recruited is one attraction of MLM arrangements. If participants are paid primarily from money received from new recruits, or if they are required to buy more product than they are likely to sell, then the company is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme"]pyramid[/ame] or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme"]Ponzi scheme[/ame], which is illegal in most countries."

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I'm curious as to the number of emails Josh sent regarding recruiting vs the number he sent regarding selling the products of the MLM. I think the answer will tell us exactly that which he is selling.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

[/B]I just looked at this website. Tell me again, what is the product? There is no product mentioned. It is all about signing up people. Scamola.

Why do people fall for these things? Many years ago, Amway people tried to get us to fall for their deal. It was so obvious from the get go that it was creepy- and Amway even had some product to sell. These new ones, like this Freedom.ws touted in the website above, don't even pretend to be on the up and up. Hollibird, you are better than this crap. So are you Josh.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Jdarg, although the website looks like it's all about how to make a bunch of money, I think it is supposedly about selling website domains, although I couldn't find where I actually sign up for to see if a name has been taken, nor do I see where I can purchase a domain name. However, I do see how to get rich quickly. Here's how one person did it:

The Movie Does All The Work.
    "My income has almost doubled each and every month... All you have to do is invite people to watch your movie." →

I think it is funny that all the domain names for that company end in .ws rather than a choice of .com, .org, etc.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I know! I couldn't find anything but watching movies of people telling me how they doubled the income. Where are the websites to buy/sell?

So, it looks easy! You wanna be my business partner?:lol:

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

not if it means marketing it to all my friends, thereby getting on their spam lists. I'd rather keep my friends.

9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

No kidding. I have a hard time selling stuff to my friends that I can't explain or something they can't eat.

10. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Lots of Who-Ha on the web about ".WS" I must admit, this is the first time I've heard of it. I know a lot more about this MLM now than I care to (these MLM things fascinate me--the proliferation of which seems to be a leading indicator that folks are becoming aware we're in a recession.)

OK ...test time:

(1) When was GDI originally established as a business?
    (2) What was the year that GDI was #37 in INC.'s top 500?
    (3) Will this video help this guy get the GDI promise of "Income for Life?"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoBINjvF1c"]YouTube - GDI for Real or Scam?[/ame]

11. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear

1) Mid-1990s
    2) 2002
    3) :floor:

SHELLY because I am obsessive I was Googling around about the same time last night, and I found it interesting to learn that .ws stands for Western Samoa, but is being marketed as standing for WebSite. Basically this company was trolling around for growth opportunities in the mid 90s and decided this domain name might have some.

But nose around and it is clear that to the major companies, .ws is junk. For example, if you type in Nordstrom.biz, Nordstrom.info, Nordstrom.org it will take you to the Nordstrom.com front page. Nordstrom did not buy .ws however because right now and apparently for the forseeable future, it considers it valueless.

That and a number of other big-name .ws names (Microsoft, Yahoo, etc) are "parked" by so called investors. They were available to the public only because when GDI first offered the .ws names directly to Fortune 500 companies, they declined -- according to GDI's own information. I think those companies know whether something is valuable or not.

If this were a viable product, it would be not be so bad of an idea, but a cursory search leads me to believe there is almost nothing in the .ws category besides millions of sales pitches. Yikes! Run Holli Run!

12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

And I can't imagine anything more demeaning than realizing that I was part of somebody's "upline".

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks TFT.

Everyone - please do not put working MLM links on this site in posts, profiles, or signatures. Thanks!

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

:yikes: I just re-read this. Wow! So, you buy a website, promoting websites to others, and their website does nothing but promote more websites. Interesting. Sounds like the, "send me $30 and I'll tell you how to make millions by mailing letters from home," scheme. Send in your $30 and you will be told to ask others to send in their $30 and you share this same information, telling others to send in... repeat....

Hollibird, didn't you and Josh work in the same office at one time? Did you sell him on the MLM?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  15. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

I've been too busy stuffing envelopes, what is this thread about?;-)

16. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

DING, DING, DING...we've got a winner folks! Thanks SJ for connecting the dots. As I was researching the ".WS" pitch, I had a feeling that this scheme sounded familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on it--your observation is 100% spot on!

17. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

You are paying $10 a month for your own website.... a website that you can do anything with... dont a lot of you have your own website?

18. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

Like I said, you dont have to even promote this business on your website... you can do whatever you want with it.... its yours. and i am sure alot of people here pay someone to host thier own website.

19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Yep. I pay less than $10 per year for my domain name. What do yours costs? Just curious why you chose your site to have nothing but advertisements on how people made money by getting others to create a website like yours.

Not intending to pick on you, just trying to understand why people buy into such things. I'm guessing that you are out of the Realtor biz, or you you probably be advertising real estate on your site.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

what does one of your website domain names cost? I couldn't find any info on your site, other than info-mercials.