• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
That's a good point, we should be more concerned about the causeways that haven't yet gone belly under than worrying about how quickly Redfish is repaired. Denial isn't a river, it's more like a landslide.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The place I'm talking about has a culvert running diagonally, not near a lake, just a drainage creek. 30-A already has three patches in this spot, as if it has partially collapsed a little bit already. I'm calling the Three Stooges, er, I mean, the road department on Monday.

Isn't this how Rome collapsed? First the hordes came in on golf carts and then the roads collapsed.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The place I'm talking about has a culvert running diagonally, not near a lake, just a drainage creek. 30-A already has three patches in this spot, as if it has partially collapsed a little bit already. I'm calling the Three Stooges, er, I mean, the road department on Monday.

Isn't this how Rome collapsed? First the hordes came in on golf carts and then the roads collapsed.

I thought Nero's fiddling was so bad it caused people to go crazy and so they burned the place down or something like that.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Please send them a certified letter if you have time. Once it's sign for someone is responsible
And they know it ( maybe). Then when 30a
Is breached you can send the signed return card
To local news. Problem fixed,the poor soul who
Did nothing with good citizen info is on the street.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Are y'all saying nothing is being done? Just assessments and trying to get FEMA $. These yahoos are going to pave my road which was under about 4 inches of water last week. After the July rains, road was under water, they came down in a truck rolling some sort of measuring device. They told me they were measuring our road. What?? This paving project was supposed to start in May and you haven't measured the streets yet?? I think they were just racking up flooded streets to add to the FEMA list. Whatever. Paving will probably cause more problems than fix. I just want my SAND back. The clay ruined our streets.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It is simply amazing that so many supposedly educated people so misunderstood what I was saying in post #54.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Let's be clear about what we are talking about. Andy seemed to suggest "just filling it in" and be done with it. Which leads to the question, how long will that last? Leader suggested that, possibly due to Bob's suggestion that overdevelopement (Redfish Village, Etc.) caused this problem, a bridge might be a better solution than a causeway. Methinks that the DEP would want to evaluate that, but probably be all for it, rather than more causeway, and signoff on it would come soon.

Now, why FEMA is involved, I don't know, but it seems to be the American way to look for hand-outs from the Federal Government, even from our Republican county government. Go figure. And since FEMA has been asked to be involved, then, of course, Department of Home Security is involved because George Bush placed FEMA under the control Of Homeland Security. Now, please tell me what does this have to do with Obama. Our County, rather than have a guy drive around in a pickup truck and look for possible culvert blockage, would rather just have our roads crumble and ask the federal government to rebuild them.

Our county should just build a small bridge there. Period.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I think we are all just getting in our $.02, so not everything we say is a direct response to any post(s) in particular. In my opinion, this is one time where people dragging their heels would be the lesser of two evils over "git er done". The county obviously can't handle simple monitoring and maintenance tasks, so we need a more maintenance-free solution.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let's be clear about what we are talking about. Andy seemed to suggest "just filling it in" and be done with it. Which leads to the question, how long will that last? Leader suggested that, possibly due to Bob's suggestion that overdevelopement (Redfish Village, Etc.) caused this problem, a bridge might be a better solution than a causeway. Methinks that the DEP would want to evaluate that, but probably be all for it, rather than more causeway, and signoff on it would come soon.

Now, why FEMA is involved, I don't know, but it seems to be the American way to look for hand-outs from the Federal Government, even from our Republican county government. Go figure. And since FEMA has been asked to be involved, then, of course, Department of Home Security is involved because George Bush placed FEMA under the control Of Homeland Security. Now, please tell me what does this have to do with Obama. Our County, rather than have a guy drive around in a pickup truck and look for possible culvert blockage, would rather just have our roads crumble and ask the federal government to rebuild them.

Our county should just build a small bridge there. Period.

You couldn't have expressed my message any better. Obviously you did not understand my post. Before, clarifying it, let me apologize for my lack of unstandable cognitive ability. What I meant was WE HAVE TOO MANY FINGERS IN THE PIE!!! At one time, not so long ago, we would have had the capability to do the repair reasonably quickly, in the proper manner and with an assurance that upon completion it would be substantial as well as correctly done for some time. Probably until some inspector screwed up again. Now it seems, we have to have 15 agencies to wipe our nose before we can even contemplate proper repair. Please note the word, PROPER! I hope this clears up the impression that I was suggesting we "just fill it in" and be done with it. I may be old, Lakeview Too, but I am far from stupid, though many who haven't a clue as to how the world really works may think so.

Last edited: