• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Why isn't the speed limit simply changed? Panama City Beach used to religiously change Front Beach Road from 35MPH to 45MPH after the snowbirds left. While I realize this was the stupidest thing in the world since you were about to go from no traffic to stand still parking lots and an increase was pointless this could be implemented here very easily.

AGREED. Not that speed limits could have helped avoid yesterdays accident at all, (may have more to do with failure to avoid/ failure to look both ways) but it appears to me that seasonal speed limits on 30A would be helpful.. probably either a full 5 months from April 10th to September 10th for simplicity sakes, or alternatively they could bounce around electronically inversley to the increasingly complex rental rates on 30A for a given year (which correspond with occupancy fairly well).

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I'm sorry for this young man and hope that he recovers quickly.

I do have to say though, that pedestrians and bike riders have got to wake up and follow the traffic rules. Bike riders ON 30-A need to be smart about when they choose to bike and pick a time with light traffic. One thing that is making me nervous is all the pedestrians in Rosemary Beach that cross at the traffic light when the vehicular traffic has a green light. Just because there is a crosswalk there does not mean that pedestrians can cross when the cross traffic has a green light. It is very scary because it is impossible to predict if someone is going to step out in front of you when you have a green light. Contributing to the problem are the drivers who stop at the green light and let the pedestrians cross. It is dangerous for other drivers who are not expecting the car in front of them to suddenly stop at a green light and it is dangerous for the pedestrians who are becoming accustomed to having drivers stop for them. If drivers, bikers, and pedestrians all follow the traffic rules, then it is safer for everyone.

Last edited:

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
If Walton County would like to lower the property tax rate for all of us, all that they need to do is ticket the spring breakers and construction workers driving like bats out of hell on the dirt roads in Old Seagrove.

The speed limit and stop signs are almost completely ignored. It's only a matter of time before a kid on a bike rides out in front of one of these idiots. These people think that it's a great sport to see how much dust they can raise.

surfdog

Beach Comber
Sep 12, 2006
I dont add my imput much around here, but for starters, i think it was scooter who mentioned our local com. coffee man,..and i couldnt agree more, if it was the one we are thinking of, he is as professional as can be and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as well as the victims. With that said ,one thing i learned long before we had a bikepath,..not that its related to this tragedy,..but NEVER slow down and wave a group across 30 a if they are on your left..They will smile and wave without thinking for a second about looking to their left as they enter the road. Be safe my friends, i hate a vacation tragety, and i dont wanna see a good locals life torn apart. Prayers to all...

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
I have been heartbroken all day thinking that this boy had passed away. So happy to hear that he is recovering well!!!!! No matter who was at fault - wouldn't it be a good idea to have delivery trucks along 30-A only be able to deliver at certain hours? Like 6 - 8 a.m.? Maybe only during the peak tourist seasons?:dunno:

toes

Beach Comber
Dec 9, 2009
I was miserable reading this until I learned that this child has survived!! Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. I subscribe to two absolute realities (in my own mind) whenever I am on 30a. When I am driving-I assume all pedestrians and bikers will not see me and cross at will in front of me. When I am jogging or biking, I assume no drivers see me and none of them will slow down/stop for me to cross. I drive this point to my kids constantly. They get nowhere near 30a without me or another adult. I am so paranoid when jogging that I never use my ipod and I can always be found hugging the extreme southern side of the run/bike path!! I am beyond amazed with the spring/summertime pedestrians around Seaside. Many of them walk in front of moving cars without a glance to the left or right. Even worse is the parked cars parallel to 30a. Small children are completely hidden by these cars until they are actually on 30a. Even Shaq could be hidden by some of the SUVs/Trucks parallel parked around Seaside! Forget about right of ways on any road, especially 30a. Traffic laws are what they are and we should obviously abide by them at all times. However, the laws of physics favor the automobiles.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
I do have to say though, that pedestrians and bike riders have got to wake up and follow the traffic rules. Bike riders ON 30-A need to be smart about when they choose to bike and pick a time with light traffic. One thing that is making me nervous is all the pedestrians in Rosemary Beach that cross at the traffic light when the vehicular traffic has a green light. Just because there is a crosswalk there does not mean that pedestrians can cross when the cross traffic has a green light. It is very scary because it is impossible to predict if someone is going to step out in front of you when you have a green light. Contributing to the problem are the drivers who stop at the green light and let the pedestrians cross. It is dangerous for other drivers who are not expecting the car in front of them to suddenly stop at a green light and it is dangerous for the pedestrians who are becoming accustomed to having drivers stop for them. If drivers, bikers, and pedestrians all follow the traffic rules, then it is safer for everyone.

well said! my husband and i were just discussing this tonight at supper, and were preparing to make a similar post. this situation at the lights in rosemary has been on our minds for some time - an accident waiting to happen. scary. and the extended intersection contributes to the problem. the powers that be in rosemary - or whoever is responsible for setting up the lights/intersection/crosswalk - should really rethink this and make changes. either it should be crosswalks with NO traffic lights, or traffic lights with pedestrian crossing lights and no crosswalk designation. otherwise the confusion will result in an accident someday.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
well said! my husband and i were just discussing this tonight at supper, and were preparing to make a similar post. this situation at the lights in rosemary has been on our minds for some time - an accident waiting to happen. scary. and the extended intersection contributes to the problem. the powers that be in rosemary - or whoever is responsible for setting up the lights/intersection/crosswalk - should really rethink this and make changes. either it should be crosswalks with NO traffic lights, or traffic lights with pedestrian crossing lights and no crosswalk designation. otherwise the confusion will result in an accident someday.

I was stopped at a red light at Rosemary. Girl on my left was hesitant to cross on her bike, finally she did. She wasn't paying attention and she sideswiped another cyclist crossing the other way. Very low speed, but the lady who got sideswiped had her child in a bike seat with her. I think everyone is OK, but some of these people are so unaware.