What's up with Buddy's

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Cali, Mar 14, 2008.

1. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

That was brilliant. Forget about personal responsibility and let other people clean up your trash. Which if you live up to your name, must mean you expect alot of people to clean up your large supply. We should all have such a community-minded way of thinking. Then all of South Walton could be one big beautiful trash heap for Fat Boy.

Thanks for trying to add some constructive substance to the discussion, but your posts are right up there with the ever constructive "get over it" advice previously provided on this topic. You obviously don't give a damn, so feel free to move along.

2. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Thanks for quoting my posts the typos show up better in blue and I was able to get them straightened out. I don't need a lot of people just one. What time are you coming by with your bags? After you finish my place we can go to Buddy's, I do a fine job as Pointer. How does trying to encourage a volunteer task force mean that I "obviously don't give a damn"? Seems just the opposite.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  3. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Clean up your own trash, Fat Boy. Sounds like you need the exercise. And when you are done, since you are so gung ho about someone besides the owner's of Buddy's cleaning up, feel free to clean theirs. Your idea, only fair you should follow through.

Or you could just admit I'm right, and that Buddy's should take care of their own garbage. Or are you so pig-headed as to keep trying to justify otherwise.

4. rdelong43065

rdelong43065 Beach Fanatic

I always appreciate you taking one for the team. Actually, I did buy milk there once.

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

yes! can't live without it!

okay hop and gordhead, you both get some sugar today (rep). cracking me up.

6. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Based on the various posts, we have it because many people keep buying gas, newspapers, food & beverages, and sundries there. :wave:

I'm not saying it's pretty or couldn't be cleaned up a bit, just that it obviously serves a purpose and contributes to the community.

7. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

and that about says it all. :wave:

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I'm still waiting to hear what code they are violating. You still haven't stated exactly what you want to see them do, other than take responsibility. If there isn't a law against looking crappy, there ain't much you can do except offer to clean it yourself. I've cleaned litter off the sides of hwy 98 more than once, for a couple of hours at at time, to help clean up SoWal. Nothing wrong with a cleaning up of other people's trash to make you more aware of your own impact on others and the environment. Try it, you might like it.

If nothing else, the crappy looks of Buddy's sets the tone for people leaving SoWal, entering PCB.

9. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Some rules to life Smiling Joe , not hard and fast, but worth noting:

1) clean up after yourself, and
    2) don't depend on others to answer questions that you do not know the answer to.

Not sure what you are going on about with these code violations, but I know that I at least never mentioned any of that. And yes, there are several things that I can do rather than offer to clean up someone elses mess. Like ask them to take responsibility and clean up their own mess, which I will be doing. Report them, if there are in fact any violations (I'm looking forward to your full report, Smiling Joe). And last but not least, join others in *****ing about the general state of decay and pollutedness that the place is in.

Not exactly sure why so many of you rallied behind a local polluter quite this way, but I guess most of your jumps to conclusion about it being some sort of elitist attack on the working class is now preventing you from caring about not just how things look, but possibly people's health and pollution of the surrounding area. A truly noble cause you have taken on and refuse to give ground on. Your children and the subsequent generations will no doubt be proud.

10. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

WTF? Talk about being in the 9th grade.... Geezzz.
    I am pretty sure that the man has passed and that he left this business "in trust" to his family, who, even if the licenses say the name of someone YOU DETERMINE to be of Mid-Eastern descent (got a problem with that? Or with people with weight problems?), probably depend on this business for income. I think that the dreaded ELITISM monster has reared its ugly head again.What if I am a fat Pakistani? I would be very offended at your remarks here.

11. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

And where did you find that this place was polluting the area? Have there been ground water surveys done that have PROVEN this ? OR are you only trying to turn this into an environmental argument that you have no facts to back up? Show me the stats on this so-called "pollution". Or are you basing this on what YOU CONSIDER to be "eye-pollution"?

12. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Then be offended at elgordoboy, since translated from spanish it means, "fat boy". And I never said I had a problem with Indians or Pakistanis. You injected your interpretation, not mine. So I am pretty aware of who here really has the problem.

If you can find time to get down from your soapbox, take a close look in the mirror.

13. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

I suggest you visit and take a look around, then get back to me.

14. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Hey ..I am not the one that brought the Indian/Pakistani element to this discussion. That and the "FATBOY' references are yours and yours alone. And I can tell that from the the "take a look around" comment that that "eye-pollution" is EXACTLY what you have a problem with. You cant back up any OTHER "pollution" claim ..can you?.
    Starts singing "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson.... ("its all relative to the size of your steeple,cant see the forest for the trees and you cant smell your own S*** on your knees")

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

DCFinSCB, you are the one complaining about the store, and along with Cali, think that something should be done. All I am asking is, what do you think should be done about it? Is that such a difficult question? Cali says that "you can see the violations from just looking at it." I ask what violations? Show me the light. Please.

I have duly noted that I think the place looks terrible. I don't know that you will get debate from anyone on the other side, thinking that the property or store is a sightly treasure. Show me the Code where it says that someone's store cannot look like crapola, and I will be the first to call it in.

Regarding your statement:
    I have no idea what you are trying to suggest here, and don't have a clue to what #2 is all about. Did I totally miss a few posts? #1 sounds like you are suggesting that I don't clean up after myself, but that would be a weird thought since I take it a step farther and volunteer my time to clean up other people trash, to try to keep the area free of trash.

16. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Let's get some facts straight here:

1) Some people of Indian, Pakistani, or similar regional heritage own the business, "Buddy's";

2) "Gordo", which is spanish, means "fat" in english;

3) If you have not visited "Buddy's" in say the past 2 years, at least, you would not know that the parking lot many times, but grounds surrounding it always, are strewn with debris and trash.

So, jodi, before you make a bigger.......mistake than you have already made regarding the pollution connected with "Buddy's", check your facts, try to get a first-hand accounting, and consider whether you approach too many other issues in your life with such a general disregard for the truth.

17. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I drive past the place at least twice a day..yes I can plainly see it is not an upscale ritzy service station, but I am not going to sit here and say that they are "polluters" unless I have cold hard FACTS from the DEP, EPA or some other government agency that proves this assumption. You need to check YOUR facts on the pollution issue and try not to determine whether or not I, personally, disregard the truth in ANY aspect of MY life. (Which,by the way..is absolutely NONE of your business) Litter strewn about the premises DOES NOT constitute "pollution". Do you sit and watch the place 24/7 ? Have you determined that they NEVER clean these premises and that this litter has been there for ..lets say ...weeks on end? I dont have time nor see the need to police the litter in a store parking lot.

18. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Ask Cali about what code violations she refers to. Why do you keep asking me? All I said is that laws and a county code exist. I can't help you find what code violation it violates, because I have no clue nor never said I knew. That is what I was referring to in #2.

I wasn't referring to you not cleaning up after yourself, but rather the opinions that many have expressed about those other than "Buddy's" cleaning up after "Buddy's" mess. Buddy should be responsible for their mess, just as you and I are responsible for our mess.

The place is a pit. I'm glad we all agree. My first step will be to find out why they leave it in such shape and if they plan to clean it up, and we'll see where it goes from there.

19. DCFinSCB

DCFinSCB Beach Fanatic

Whether it is an oil spill or leaving trash strewn on your grounds, it is still considered pollution. Different degrees of, yes, but still pollution.

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You state that Buddy's is polluting, and specifically you mention the litter and debris on the premises. Is this litter which their customers leave on the ground or are the owner and employees of Buddy's leaving it there? I understand about taking pride in my own business, and I would personally want to make the property clean and inviting, but if they are okay with a smutty black sign and a plywood door, I doubt you will see the employees cleaning up after some of their customers who don't care about littering.

I still don't understand how #1 and #2 "rules of life for Smiling Joe" relate to me and my life as some sort of guidance. If I have looked for answers to the question (I have read the County Code, County Comp Plan, County Land Use Code, and I don't know how Buddy's is breaking the Code.), and still don't know the answer, it sounds like you don't think I should ask anyone for guidance to the answer. I guess I will never know the answer to help you and Cali solve your problem of not liking Buddy's.

With four pages of posts on Buddy's, I bet his business increases.